Saturday 18 December 2010

Café nostalgia: Continental under works


Closed now since the end of August, the famous Café Continental is currently undergoing a refurb – those of you who ever used their loos will rejoice.
Down in the Baixa, conveniently positioned half way round the Art Deco trail, the café features in most Maputo guidebooks as a ‘must visit’.
Serving coffees and what is reputed to be the best “pastel de nata” (traditional Portuguese pastry) in town, Café Continental has been a city institution for more than 50 years.
In the hub of the Baixa, it sits on the corner of 25 September adjacent to former café Scala – attracting the city’s café crowd. A chair in a café esplanade is one of the cheapest and best leisure activities – ‘the joy of seeing and being seen’ with the chance of bumping into a friend and a chat… what could be more perfect?
Last June the café closed temporarily over a labour dispute – but it was up and running within a few months.
Monitoring its current works, Jose Nicols, of the municipality’s Department of Urbanisation and Construction, said this week that he’d been concerned after seeing notice about building materials on sale there last Friday, but that those carrying out the work assured him that the use of the building will remain the same.
Unfortunately, it eems unlikely that the café will open in time for Christmas. The person responsible for overseeing the work to the owner says “it’s impossible that they can open before Christmas” as they are having problems with supply of building materials – so sadly we won’t be able to sit and hav a café and “nata” over the holidays.
It will have to be Happy New Year for those of us wanting to enjoy their veranda once again.

Jane Flood ,O País Today, Club of Mozambique

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, it will open in 2011. I doubt it that they will get the building materials required during the festive season. People only have one track mind during this festive season: SHOPPING & RELAXING. I would rather relax with my loved ones and leave the shopping. I think that the birth of Jesus Christ was turned into a money making business. I try to buy my presents during the year, if I see something that I know will be useful to one of my friends or family members, I just buy it and when Christmas comes, I don't need to do any shopping (WOW - hate overcrowded shopping malls and shops). I prepare a few dishes and bake some sweets three days before Christmas or we just eat out with our closest friends and family. We never forget to go to church - for us this is the main reason why we celebrate Christmas.
Maria Helena

JOSÉ said...

I follow with interest any news concerning the Continental.
I do not like shopping and I agree that Chistmas is indeed a money making business.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!