Sunday 3 February 2013

Chude Mondlane




Today is Mozambique’s National Heroes Day and the anniversary of my father’s death...
There was a story my father often told about of an eagle that grew up in a chicken coup but couldn’t fly because he only knew the life of a chicken. One ...day he was told that his wings were made to fly, and through much encouragement and with some trepidation, he flew! He would tell the story as a metaphor for the Mozambique of his childhood and the promise it held for it’s future. Today we celebrate the courage of those who gave their lives to tear down the barriers that confined the immense possibilities this country has to offer not only to the world but to it’s citizens. We celebrate those women and men who encourage us to look at ourselves and know that we can change the world within which we lived for the better.
When I see the eagle fly I remember riding high on my father’s shoulders. As he took he strode along, with me perched atop him, I felt as if I was among the clouds – souring through the air with gleeful joy. It is one of my dearest memories of him even in the hardest of times. Here we are in 2013 and we are still a struggling nation. And, as the waters rose along the Limpopo river and the devastation left after the waters receded exposes again just how difficult times can become, for so many. For my mother, my siblings, and me, for my daughter and her cousins, the 3rd of February will always a difficult day. Although he would never lift us up onto his broad shoulders again, in this life - his life, gave us the strength to spread our wings and fly in the hardest of times. To those trying to survive each day may these celebrations in memory of our heroes breath strength into all you must do to rebuild your lives!


Chude Mondlane, Facebook

No comments: